5 Tips for Getting Better Fuel Economy
One of the most important things to prospective car buyers in the current market is fuel efficiency. With gas prices rising, buyers want a vehicle that doesn’t break the bank when it comes to fuel consumption. Here are a few tips from Automax you can do to enhance your fuel efficiency.
1. Easy With that Right Foot. Every time you accelerate you open the throttle which means more gas is getting dumped into the engine. This is especially prevalent for cars with turbochargers and big engines.
2. If you can, live without the AC. While this is not as much of an issue as it used to be with more efficient AC systems and drivetrains being made, having your vehicle’s air conditioning on will definitely have an effect on gas mileage.
3. Regular Maintenance is key. Simple things like having a clean air filter and proper air pressure in your tires can have a big effect on fuel economy. A dirty air filter equals poor flow and performance through the engine and when you don’t have enough air in your tires it means more rolling resistance.
4. Coasting. Your vehicle goes through a lot of effort starting from a dead stop so if you can, try and time yourself at lights. If you know a light is about to change, take your foot off the gas and slow down, instead of coming to a dead stop and having to start again. It’s also a good idea to coast down hills when you can.
5. Try for a consistent speed. On the highway, if you’re going a consistent, steady speed, you can save as much as 2 to 3 mpg. Cruise control is great and will keep your speed consistent.
If you’re putting all of these suggestions into practice, chances are you’re saving on gas and money and that’s always a good thing.